Monday, November 23, 2015

17 Months In Kansas And I Finally Get A Tornado!

Hola!

Last Monday was a typical P-Day and we went over to a member’s house for dinner. They just moved here from Idaho and they were getting used to Kansas. Then, all of a sudden the wind outside picked up drastically and there was a ton of lightning! So, of course we all run to the window and us missionaries go outside and start taking pictures. The members got on their phones and found out that there was a tornado coming straight towards Dodge City. They just moved here so they started calling everyone. Us missionaries think it is the coolest thing and we are taking videos outside. Then, the sirens went off! Oh boy, you can’t miss them – they are so loud! It was so cool! The lightning was everywhere and the clouds were moving so fast but we never got to see the actual tornado because it turned before it hit Dodge. After all the excitement, we went down into the basement and had a nice FHE. Definitely a night to remember!

This week, I got to go on my last exchange with Sister Webb and it was just like old times! We counted and this was our 4th exchange with each other. She thought she had gotten rid of me after training – nope! It is truly amazing to see her grow and to be able to testify with so much power. We had many memories and many tears were shed on the exchange. I love Sister Webb so much and she will be a true disciple of Christ for the rest of her life!

I love biking as a missionary but I haven’t been able to bike since I have been in Liberal. But this week, I was on exchanges in Garden City and we got to ride bikes. I was smiling the whole time because it felt so good to be back on a bike. Sweet miracle – we were biking to an appointment across town and we rode by this house and the gal was just getting off of work. We were hurrying because we still had a long way to bike, so I just waved, smiled, and said, “Hello.” She smiled and waved back. I didn’t really think much of it – but later that night – we were biking back to their apartment and it was close to curfew but there was still a miracle out there! We passed her house again – but this time – we stopped and knocked. The lady answered and she recognized us from earlier that day. She invited us in and we were able to get to know her. Turns out that she is a teacher at the middle school, has a Toy Australian Shepherd, plays Rugby, likes watching “Vampire Diaries”, and was super open to the gospel! Sound familiar!? What a miracle! You never know what a little smile and wave can do to brighten someone else’s day.

On Saturday we had lunch and dinner – great, right!? Well... it was such good food – but both families were Hispanic – so they gave us a ton of food! My companion has been having this stomach thing that has been going around town so it makes her even more sick if she eats heavy foods. So what happens? I eat the majority of my food, then we somehow distract the members, and switch our plates so that I eat her food as well. Oh man, by the end of the day, I was rolling! I ate so much food. Good news is that she is feeling better so hopefully I only have to eat my food tonight.

Loretta's Baptism
Loretta got baptized! She is such an adorable gal that the Elders were teaching.

On Sunday, my companion and I got to speak about gratitude in Sacrament. We have a split ward – some speak Spanish and some speak English – so they have a translator. Sister Mendoza is boss and so she is the translator. So, when she gave her talk (in Spanish) another Elder translated for her. It was his first time and it was very stressful. So, in my head I thought, “maybe I could try it.” No! I lasted about 30 seconds and about died. So, thankfully another missionary came over and saved us both. Holy cow, whoever translates definitely has a gift – that was rough! Very humbling…

“If you do not feel it now, you can feel it again, but consider Nephi’s counsel. Be obedient, remember the times when you have felt the Spirit in the past, and ask in faith. Your answer will come, and you will feel the love and peace of the Savior. It may not come as quickly or in the format you desire, but the answer will come. Do not give up! Never give up!” – James B. Martino

Misionera Amor!
Siempre Una Aventura
Hermana Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment