Monday, September 8, 2014

The Hope of God’s Light

Hola!

We have about 11 investigators right now and they are all awesome! Two of them are Spanish speaking only and the majority of them are Mexican – how ironic!

So, last week when we were getting ready for bed, Sister Moser yelled, "Sister Adams – I need your help!" I went into our room and she had one of those floss things stuck behind her retainer and it was bleeding all over. I could not stop laughing  but I finally controlled myself – and had to cut off the floss thing for her. Somehow the floss thing broke her retainer. What was lucky is that the next day we had dinner with a family in our ward whose dad is a dentist here in Lamar. So, after dinner he took us to his office and fixed her retainer. We as missionaries are truly blessed!

Bad news... I ate chocolate! We were eating lunch at the Bishop’s house and his wife had got the dessert all ready for us and it had chocolate in it. I didn't know what to do because she had already made it for me and I didn't want to waste it. So, I told myself that I would just eat it – and might as well enjoy it while I eat it – so that is just what I did! It was cookies and cream pudding and it was actually really good. So sorry grandpa! Don't worry, I will be more careful in the future.

I FINALLY had some real Mexican food! Christina (investigator) showed us how to make some really good bean burritos – lard and all! Then, the next day she made us some super good Mexican rice with Menudo. The Menudo was pretty good – but she waited until after we finished eating it – to tell us that the meat was cow stomach lining. I love Christina! She is an awesome cook and she teaches us how to make it the real Mexican way. While we were eating, we were talking about how she felt at church. She said that it was really good and that all her kids really liked it. But, the first thing she told us was, "Girls – I have never seen so many cute white boys in my life!" Ha, ha, ha, ha – I am pretty sure we laughed for 5 minutes straight after that!

This Sunday we were waiting for Christina to come to church and we never saw her and the services were about to start. So, we went outside and before we knew it, we were RUNNING to her apartment which is a couple of blocks down the street. While we were running, we kept thinking to ourselves, "What are we doing?" but we kept running! Once we got to her apartment, we kept knocking until she opened the door. She immediately apologized for waking up late. We didn't take any excuses and we immediately helped her and her kids get ready for church as fast as we could. We made it back to the church just as testimony meeting was beginning. You could tell that Christina was feeling the Spirit because she was crying the whole time. It was an amazing testimony meeting and probably one of the most spiritual ones that I have ever been to. After church, Christina told us, "You guys are like my mom and I am so glad that you made us come to church today because it made me feel so much better." Man, I love Christina! We were talking to her later that day and she said that we are the best influences that she has ever had in her house. Since we have been visiting with her (about a week and a half), she has not done any drugs, smoked, and has only had coffee one time. The coffee was a complete accident, so yesterday we brought her over some hot chocolate that we had in our apartment.

We were driving through Holly and there was a random church that had these words on their sign: "Heaven, don't miss it for the world!" It is so true and I love that quote!

Scripture of the Week – D&C 88:11-13
11 And the light which shineth, which giveth you light, is through him who enlighteneth your eyes, which is the same light that quickeneth your understandings;
12 Which light proceedeth forth from the presence of God to fill the immensity of space –
13 The light which is in all things, which giveth life to all things, which is the law by which all things are governed, even the power of God who sitteth upon his throne, who is in the bosom of eternity, who is in the midst of all things.


Quote of the Week – by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf
"There may be some among you who feel darkness encroaching upon you. You may feel burdened by worry, fear, or doubt. To you and to all of us, I repeat a wonderful and certain truth: God's light is real. It is available to all! It gives life to all things. It has the power to soften the sting of the deepest wound. It can be a healing balm for the loneliness and sickness of our souls. In the furrows of despair, it can plant the seeds of a brighter hope. It can enlighten the deepest valleys of sorrow. It can illuminate the path before us and lead us through the darkest night into the promise of a new dawn."

Misionera Amor!
Siempre Una Aventura
Hermana Adams


No comments:

Post a Comment